Blogger’s Dinner at Charlie P’s

Blogger’s Dinner at Charlie P’s

2 weeks ago I got an invitation to a blogger dinner and a workshop at Charlie P's Pub and Dining. When I saw the email, I thought at first it was a mistake. An invitation for me? No, that can’t be true. My blog is not so "famous" so why should I get an invitation to such an event. So I wrote back and asked if the invitation was really for me. And as it turned out, it was not a mistake ... the invitation was for me. I was very excited and was looking forward to participating in the 2 events.


Unfortunately, the workshop had to be cancelled because of a few logistical problems. I was a bit sad, but it's better to cancel something if you know that cannot stand up to your own expectations. I personally prefer to go to just one good organised event instead of two mediocre one.

And now let us talk about the dinner. We were served a 5 course meal, the highlights from the spring menu. Each course was accompanied by 2 beers and here we entered the game: we should recommend a beer for each course. As I do not really drink beer, I was not sure if I could ever recognise the difference between the various types of beer. But it was not as difficult as I thought.


As a starter we had oysters from Galway with shallot vinaigrette and lemon slices.


Then we continued with Sir Jack McCarthy’s black pudding Scotch egg and homemade piccalilli. It was the first time that I have eaten this meal but it certainly will not be the last time as it tasted really great.


Next, we had sautéed prawns with Prager Riesling and garlic sauce. Very tasty potato bread was also served. Heavenly.


When we got to the 4th dish, I was pretty full. But one should try everything, right? We received Irish Lamb – lemon and thyme marinated rump of Tullamore lamb, fondant potato, baby spinach, baby carrot, spring morel and brown butter jus. The meat was very tender but unfortunately I do not particularly like lamb. But as you can see, I ate almost all vegetables.


The last dish that was served was Valrhona Chocolate and raspberry sorbet. If you wonder what this is I will tell you: it is one of the best liquid centre chocolate fondants that I have eaten. It tasted so good. And the core was really liquid. I wonder how they did it.


You wonder why I left the raspberry sorbet untouched. It is not because I did not like it ... no ... it tasted so wonderful. So how come that I have not eaten it? Ok ... I'll tell you a secret: I'm allergic to raspberries, strawberries, blackberries. Yes, I know ... a food blogger with a food allergy. But this is not so tragic :) Now you know why there are no recipes on my blog where berries play the main role. As I said, despite my allergy I've tasted a bit from the sorbet and it really tasted great. I can only recommend it .

There were 3 more guests - the Irish food blogger Aoife McElwain from www.icanhascook.com and the two brewmasters Frank Tobias from Ottakringer and Reinhold Barta from Gusswerk. I must tell you that Aoife is really nice. We sat at the same table and talked the entire evening. At the table there were also Sonja from www.complimenttothechef.com and Marion and Gregory from www.fallstaff.at. They are also really nice guys.

As a conclusion I can only say that it was a beautiful evening and I recommend Charlie P’s to you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments