Cinnamon macarons

Cinnamon macarons


I've read a lot about macarons...that they are very hard to make. When I read this I asked myself: what could possibly be so hard. The recipe consists of 3 ingredients...so what could go wrong?

Honestly, I was not that keen in trying macarons...I do not know why. Actually, I love to try new things, but with the macarons it was different. I've always thought they are too sweet. And honestly, I think the price is a little outrageous. In Italy a piece costs about 2 euros and in France the price was similar. So I said "No, thanks".

And I did not even want to bake them. But my sister loves them, and when I heard that she comes to visit me in Vienna, I thought I make her happy...so I baked the first time macarons. So yeah...it's true...macarons are really hard to bake. The result did not look nice, but they tasted good. That was 2 years ago. In the meantime, I tried 3 more times to bake macarons...and they always looked terrible. But they tasted good. Ah yes...once the dough landed in the garbage...for the macarons it is really better to use the exact quantities.

But I wanted pretty and delicious macarons. So I bought a macaron baking sheet. The first time I tried it out it did not work...so you can imagine that I was pretty disappointed. But I didn't give up...and then it worked...finally I had pretty and delicious macarons. Here they are. And they fit perfectly for Christmas


You need:


For the macarons:

45 g almond powder
75 g icing sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
36 g egg white
1 pinch of salt
10 g sugar


ingredients



For the crème:

100 g cream cheese
3-4 tbsp icing sugar
½ tsp cinnamon



And this is how we proceed:

Sift almond powder, icing sugar and cinnamon several times through a sieve until you get a very fine powder. Better you sift once too often than too less.
Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt. When it begins to get stiff add 10 g of sugar and continue to beat until stiff.
With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the icing sugar mixture until completely incorporated (I didn’t add all the powder at once, I divided it in 3). The dough should be smooth and a very viscous, not runny.


batter


Fill the macarons dough into a piping bag and form small circles on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Or you can use a macaron mat. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Let the macarons rest for 30 minutes.




Bake the macarons in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes at 140°C. Place on a cold surface and allow to cool completely.




For the filling mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar and cinnamon and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Turn macarons so their flat bottoms face up and place about 1 tsp filling. Sandwich these with the remaining macarons, flat-side down, pressing slightly to spread the filling to the edges. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.


Cinnamon macarons
Cinnamon macarons


What about your experience with macarons? 

No comments