Maki and sushi - home made

Maki and sushi


You already know that I like rice...whether it is rice pudding of different kinds or risotto. So I did not think very long when Reishunger - a young Bremen company - has written to ask me if I want to test their products. A few days after I said yes I received the package. I also got the Introductory Box consisting of natural, jasmine, basmati, bio risotto tomato rice and bio minestrone. On my request, I also received a package of sushi rice.

First I decided to try the sushi rice. I love sushi and maki, and fortunately there are many Asian restaurants in Vienna where you can get affordable and above all delicious sushi. But that's not the case everywhere. So I thought...why not make sushi and maki at home...so this way I can share the recipe with my readers. So last weekend I made sushi and maki. If it is difficult or not or if I succeeded in preparing a tasty dish, you can read here.

Maki and sushi



What we need:


200 g sushi rice
350 ml water
nori sheets
1 tbsp rice vinegar
½ tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
ingredients for filling (e.g. salmon, tuna, avocado, cucumber)


This is how you proceed:


Cook the rice:

Put rice in a bowl and wash well with lukewarm water until the water is no longer milky, but clear. For this the water has to be changed several times.


Put the rice in a pot and add 350 ml of water. Set oven to the highest level and bring rice to a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat as much as possible. Cover the rice simmer for about 20 minutes until the water has evaporated. Under no circumstances remove the lid and stir...do not worry, the rice does not burn. Remove from heat and let stand covered for another 5 minutes.

Mix rice vinegar, sugar and rice. Put it into a glass or wood bowl and stir in the rice mixture. Allowed to cool down to room temperature.

Prepare maki

Place one nori sheet, shiny-side down, on a bamboo mat covered with cling firm. Dip hands into water and spread a handful of rice evenly and thinly over the nori sheet. On the top leave a layer that is about 1-2 cm thick. Cut selected ingredients into strips and place horizontally on the lower thirds of the nori sheet. I used avocado and salmon. Moisturize the free nori stripe. Gently lift the end of the mat closest to you, and roll it over the ingredients to enclose. Continue rolling the mat to make a complete roll.

Maki and sushi

With a sharp knife cut into pieces. I have to admit, it sounds more complicated than it is. For the Sushi take a handful of rice and form a kind of egg from it. Add on the rice a piece of raw fish (I used smoked salmon).
Serve with wasabi and soy.


Maki and sushi
Maki and sushi

Do you like sushi and maki? And have you cooked it yet?

No comments