Pumpkin buns

Pumpkin buns


How fast time passes. Can you believe it is already October? Or that Halloween is already in 3 weeks? I can’t believe it. I have a few ideas for Halloween recipes, but as always I have a time problem. This because I was sure I still have so much time. When I saw the first Halloween recipes on other blogs I was: is that not too early? No it is not. So I have to hurry. So I start my (hopefully) Halloween series with these pumpkin buns. They are not that scary but they would fit for a Halloween dinner. Or what do you think?


You need:



250 g flour

½ tsp salt

40 ml warm water

1 tbsp sugar

½ tsp dry yeast

75 g pumpkin puree

1 small egg, beaten

40 ml milk

25 g soft butter



You get: 6 buns

Preparation time: 1 hour

Resting time: 2,5 hours

Baking time: 10 minutes


This is how we proceed:

In a big bowl, stir together flour and salt.


Mix mater with sugar until dissolved. Sprinkle dry yeast on the surface of water and sugar mixture and let stand for 5 minutes (do not mix).


Add all ingredients to the flour and knead until you have a smooth, non sticky. If it is too stiff, knead in some water until it softens; if it is too sticky, sprinkle in small amounts of flour as needed.


preparing pumpkin bun dough

Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in a warm place and let rise for about 2 hours.

pumpkin bun dough

Knead dough for degas and divide into 6 pieces. Form into round balls and then shape to pumpkin. Use twine, and tie it around. Don't tie too tight, because the dough will rise.


shape pumpkin buns
shape pumpkinn buns

Place on the lined baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.



Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush rolls with milk. 


brushing pumpkin buns with milk

Bake for 10 minutes.


Pumpkin buns fresh from the oven

Cool completely, then carefully remove the twine. As a pumpkin stem I used a stick.


Pumpkin buns
pumpkin buns

No comments