Apple strudel

Apple strudel



I promised you that I will share with you some typical Austrian dishes. Today I share with you the recipe for a very famous Austrian dessert: the one and only apple strudel. I have often eaten this dessert, but I never baked it. Until now. Well, I have to admit I simplified my job a little, because I haven't made the dough. There is far too much work, and I am not even sure I can really make this dough. It often happens that I prepare dough and I cannot use it. So I bought strudel dough. It’s allowed :)



You need:


2 strudel dough leafs
50 g raisins
4 apples
juice from 1 lemon
2 tbsp cognac
3 tbsp sugar
breadcrumbs
oil


This is how we proceed:


Preheat oven to 200°C degrees.

Add raisins into a bowl and pour the cognac over them. Mix and set aside.

For the filling, peel apples, cut into quarters and finally cut into thin slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice...we do not want that the apples turn brown. Add the raisins and the sugar in a large bowl, add apple slices and mix everything.




Place a damp cloth on the work surface, then lay a dry one over it. Unfold the strudel dough. Lay the first leaf on the towels, then brush with some oil. Turn the 2nd leaf at 90 degrees and lay on the first one. Again, brush with some oil and sprinkle bread crumbs. Fill the upper half of the dough with the apples, leaving a 3 edge on both sides. Fold the side edges over and roll the strudel from the top to the bottom (begin from the side with the filling) using the towels.




Place apple strudel on a tin lined with baking paper and bake for 20-25 minutes.


bake apple strudel


Sprinkle with powdered sugar. You can serve it hot or cold, with or without vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream.



Apple strudel
Apple strudel


My apple strudel does not look very nice. But you have to believe me, it was delicious. Will bake this one or other again and I hope it will look even better the next. Maybe I need to use 4 leafs? Who knows...I will try it out.

No comments