Lava Cake - a new attempt after 3 years

Lava Cake


Exactly 3 years ago, I posted my first recipe. Yes, today my blog celebrates its 3rd birthday. Who would have thought...I certainly not. I am the kind of person who tries many things, begins many things, but also gets bored quickly and doesn’t continue doing those things. This happened with painting, drawing, creating jewelry. And it surprises me that my blog really celebrates its 3rd birthday. I was sure that also the interest for cooking, writing, taking and edit photos will vanish soon. But as you can see I was wrong. Ok, I must admit, sometimes I really am not in the mood to cook or bake something, take pictures or post a new recipe...but luckily it does not happen very often.

Among my first posts there was also a recipe for Lava Cake. Actually it is the recipe that I want to share with you today. At that time, the attempt failed...I didn’t bake Lava Cakes...I baked some delicious chocolate muffins. I decided to try the recipe again. I wanted to know if I learned anything in all these years. And yes...I learned something: it's not bad to have a thermometer for the oven. And in this recipe, you have to really pay attention to the time...if the cake stays one minute longer in the oven than stated then you will not have the liquid core.


Lava Cake



Now I've talked a lot, so I leave you now with the recipe.


You need:


150 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
80 g butter
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
90 g icing sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
10 g cocoa
20 g flour
a pinch of salt


This is how we proceed:


  1. Preheat oven to 180°C degrees.
  2. Coarsely chop the chocolate and melt it in a double boiler, over simmering water, stirring constantly. Once the chocolate has melted, add butter and continue stirring (until the butter also melts). Then let it cool down.
  3. With an electric mixer mix the eggs, the egg yolk, the icing and vanilla sugar for 5-6 minutes. In the end, the cream should have a fluffy consistency.
  4. Carefully add the chocolate mixture and continue stirring. Consecutively add cocoa, flour and salt.
  5. Grease the forms and dust with cocoa. Pour the dough into the forms and bake for 12 minutes. Let the cakes rest for about 2 minutes in the molds. Put them on a dessert plate and dust with powder sugar.



Lava Cake
Lava Cake

No comments