Green walnut jam

Green walnut jam


In the previous post I showed you how to make walnut liqueur. Today I have another recipe with green walnuts. The last year I have not only made the liqueur, but also a jam. I'm not 100% sure but I think that is a typical Romanian recipe. I have seen this jam only in Romania and when I asked friends from other countries, if they know the jam, they said no.

So last year I got a lot of green walnuts from a work colleague and from the colleague of a friend. And you need lots of walnuts to produce this jam. I know you are used to see here simple recipes. This is not so simple. The jam is now that difficult to make, but you need more time. For example the peeling of the walnuts is quite time-consuming.

Maybe you saw that I prefer to use 3: 1 jam sugar. Unfortunately, this recipe only works with regular sugar. But I told you enough, here is the recipe.


You need:

200 green walnuts
juice from one lemon
900 g sugar
00 ml Water
1 lemon, sliced
½ tsp cinnamon

This is how we proceed:

Place cold water and the juice of one lemon (so that the nuts don’t turn black) in a large pot. Peel walnuts of the green shell (only the whites must remain) and give in the pot. Use gloves. Leave the nuts for at least 12 hours in the water (change the water 3-4 times)

peel green walnuts

Give nuts in a clean towel and pat dry.

In a pot add 500 ml water and sugar and boil until you obtain syrup. When the syrup begins to boil bubbling add nuts and lemon and cook over medium heat for 1 - 1 ½ hours. Stir occasionally. Remove foam if it forms. Add cinnamon and cook for another 5 minutes.


Fill jam into clean jars, seal and place for 15 minutes on the lid. Store in a cool place.

Green walnut jam
Green walnut jam

No comments