Green walnut liqueur

Green walnut liqueur

Guys, I just had a big shock! I just wanted to write the next blog post – I decided that it was time to post the recipe for walnut liqueur I made last year. But than I could not find the recipe. Actually I always write the recipes down. But I did not find anything. No mail with the text, not a link in the favorites, no text. Nothing. And then I panicked. How should I share the recipe of this delicious walnut liqueur with you, if I do not have the recipe? And then it occurred to me that I still have a recipe book where I write recipes. So I hoped to find the recipe there. And since you are reading this now, it means that I have found the recipe. That was close.
 
IMPORTANT: The nuts must be harvested until latest June 21. If this happens later, then you can no longer use them. I was lucky and got the nuts from a work colleague, because unfortunately you cannot buy them anywhere.


You need:

20 green walnuts
500 g sugar
7 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1 liter of corn schnapps (37%)

Required time: 30 min + 6 months to infuse


This is how we proceed:


Wash, dry and cut walnuts into quarters. Use RUBBER GLOVES...otherwise you will have brown hands. Place walnuts into a large, lockable, clean glass. Add sugar and spices.


Pour corn schnapps and seal the glass and let it stand for 8 weeks in a sunny spot. Every few days swirl the glass, so that the sugar dissolves better. The liqueur will get darker and darker.


After 8 weeks, remove nuts and spices and trough them away. Strain through a thin sieve, coffee filters or tea towel. Fill in clean, sterilized bottles and put them for 4 months in a cool, dark place.

At Christmas you can finally enjoy liqueur. I assure you that it is worth the long waiting time.
 
Green walnut liqueur
Green walnut liqueur

No comments