Panettone

Panettone

I admit…I was really afraid to bake panettone. Especially when I read on Zorra’s blog that she needed a lot of tries, until she finally managed to bake a panettone. And she is an experienced baker. But her recipe is too complex for me and I do not have the patience to try it out. So I was determined to give up the project "panettone". But then I discovered on Kevin’s blog a simpler recipe...and decided to try it out. Well, Kevin is also a bake expert, but no risk, no fun :)

Most of the time, I change the recipes also when baking, but this time I followed it strictly… almost. Although the temptation was quite big to change one thing or other. I have to admit, the consistency is not as fluffy as the one of a bought panetonne, but it can also be because I made a mistake...I used a much too small bowl and the dough did not have much room to rise properly. But for a first attempt I find it is not so bad.

You need:

550 g flour, universal
200 ml milk, lukewarm
7 g dry yeast
200 g butter, melted
4 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
100 ml honey
100 g dry fruits (dates, apricots, cherries)
1 egg
1 tbsp milk

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Resting time: 12 hours
Baking time: 95 minutes


This is how we proceed:

Place the flour in a bowl and form a hole in the middle. Add warm milk and yeast. Mix the milk and yeast  and let stand for 10 minutes.


mixing ingredients for panettone dough

In a second bowl mix butter, eggs, vanilla extract and honey.

After 10 minutes you start to knead pouring the butter-honey mixture into the flour mixture. Knead for 10 minutes until you get an elastic dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour, but not too much. Cut the fruit into small pieces and fold under the dough.

Placer the dough into a large, lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean tablecloth and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours. I unfortunately took a small bowl, and I believe that is the reason why my panettone is not that fluffy. But I can be wrong. But better use a large bowl.


Panettone dough after 2 hours

After the 2 hours (the dough can also rest longer) knead the dough briefly, cover with cling film and give in the refrigerator for 8 hours (or more).


Panettone dough after restig time

Take dough out from the refrigerator. Since I do not have panettone form I had to improvise a little. I used my 18 cm spring form and my backing ring. I greased them, laid them on top of each other and dressed with baking paper. Place the dough in the baking pan and let it rest in a warm place for additional 2 hours.


Put panettone dough in the form

Using a sharp knife cut a X across the entire surface of the dough. Mix an egg with 1 tbsp of milk and brush panettone with it.

Preheat the oven to 200°C and place on the bottom rack. Bake for 45 minutes. After the 45 minutes cover panettone with aluminum foil and bake for another 45 minutes. Insert a wooden stick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the panettone is baked. Otherwise bake for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool and serve.


Panettone
Panettone

As you can see, the recipe is not so difficult...but you have to bring some time and patience. Have you already baked panettone? Then show me your recipes.

No comments