Orange cake

Orange cake


LaGusterina started last year a blog event - she sent a cookbook on a trip. The idea behind the event is that 55 bloggers cook in 110 weeks 110 recipes from this book. Every blogger has two weeks time to pick out two recipes from the cookbook and to cook them. I found the idea so great that I also wanted to participate.


Actually, my turn should have been last year but unfortunately, the book got lost for a time. Fortunately, it appeared again and the adventure can continue. A replacement would have been provided by the publisher, but so many bloggers have written something in this book...so it would have been really a loss.

The selected book is „Cucina Vegana - Vegan genießen auf italienische Art" by Heike Kügler-Anger. It is a book that contains no photos...such a book I wouldn’t purchase. This is because I want to know how the dishes look. But the book contains so many great recipes - I had troubles deciding what I wanted to cook.





I opted for the torta di arance - the orange cake. And because I had too many oranges, also the 2nd recipe was quickly found - Sicilian orange salad. Today I show you the recipe for the orange cake. Since I had a lot of oranges, I've changed it a little, but I do not think this will bother anyone.




You need:


100 g soft margarine
200 g sugar
300 g flour
1 packet of baking powder
1 pinch of salt
100 ml of rice or almond milk
100 g of finely diced candied orange peel
1 1 untreated blood orange
3-4 oranges


This is how we proceed:


Cover a form with baking paper and grease it with margarine. Peel oranges (I have taken blood oranges and normal ones), remove the white skin and cut into thin slices. Arrange orange slices on the bottom of the pan. This part does not appear in the original recipe. But as I said...I had bought way too many oranges.




For the dough stir margarine and sugar for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.




Mix flour, baking powder and salt and stir spoon by spoon into the margarine-sugar-mixture.



Grate the orange and squeeze out the juice. Add both to the dough and mix.



Stir in almond or rice milk (I used rice milk) then add candied orange peel and fold with a spoon. I found the dough too firm, so I've added 2-3 tablespoons rice milk.



Place the dough into the pan and bake in the preheated oven at 180°C degree for 45 minutes.

Orange cake before baking


After baking, allow it to cool slightly, put it on a plate or a wire rack and let cool completely. 

 
Orange cakeOrange cake


In the original recipe you have to sprinkle the cake with 4-5 tablespoons sugar and drizzle with 4-5 tablespoons orange liqueur/ syrup and to let it cool in the pan. But since I have used the orange slices, I skipped this.

Orange cake


The cake tasted good, but it will not become one of my favorite cakes.

I am glad that I took part in this event and that I've discovered this book. I hope the book will not get lost again, because this book has become kind of unique.

No comments